Saturday, October 23, 2010

Words I Don't Know: Royal Edition I

Good news:  I found my WIDK for A Treasury of Royal Scandals!  There were a lot of words I don't know because I just have a high school diploma and must be an idiot.  Anyway, less about my shortcomings, more about unusual words.

obstinacy (n.):  unyielding or stubborn adherence to one's purpose, opinion, etc.
capitulation (n.):  a list of the headings or main divisions of a subject; a summary or enumeration.
monomania (n.):  an inordinate or obsessive zeal for or interest in a single thing, idea, subject, or the like.
timorous (adj.):  Fearful.
mettle (n.): courage and fortitude.  
execrable (adj.):  utterly detestable.
effusion (n.):  an unrestrained expression.
arriviste (adj.):  a person who has recently acquired unaccustomed status, wealth, or success, especially by dubious means and without earning concomitant esteem.
sagacious (adj.): having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd.
precocious (adj.):  unusually advanced or mature in development, especially mental development.

No comments:

Post a Comment